Tuesday, September 11, 2007

I sold my soul to the Devil....and damn did he win quick;y

Lets get the first thing across here, I like the internet. It's a good thing. It allows people to communicate quickly and cheaply across all corners of the world. It supplies us with a seemingly never ending cache of information. In short, it's pretty damn neat. Now that being said I was never a big fan of social networking sites. I could never really put my finger on it there was just something about them that rubbed me the wrong way. I wasn't going to deride people for using them it just never seemed to be my thing.

Well silly old me I decided to cave in just a short while ago and get myself a facebook page. I caved because there was a big group made up of people who I went to/worked with at a summer camp and I decided it would be a much easier way to keep in touch with those people. So I made a page and whatnot and was able to connect with some people I hadn't talked to in quite some time which was a nice thing. Then a couple of days later I remembered why I didn't like these things in the first place.

I received a friend request from someone I hadn't talked to in eons and I mean eons. In fact when we knew each other we never really spoke. In fact it was pretty much dumb coincidence that we knew one another to begin with. So despite the fact we never really spoke before and despite the fact we hadn't spoken at all in any way for the the better part of a decade here was the request from this person to be a "friend" on facebook.

And see this gets to the heart of the matter here, why did this person request me as a friend? We haven't talked in forever nor do I envision talking to them at all so what was the point of the request? Is it so they can add another friend to their tally, because I can't really think of another reason aside from that. See I never understood people on MySpace or Facebook that have like over 500 friends. Really you friended that girl you met a party three years ago or you friended some one because they're a friend of a friend of a friend? What's the effing point? Why do you bother? This is something that just makes no sense to me, but remember that I'm not that bright.

Believe me, after a few years of avoiding it, I'm enjoying the Facebook thing. I've been able to touch base with some people I had lost contact with and keep some dialogs running with others that I otherwise wouldn't be talking to on such a regular basis. But what's this incessant need to friend the hell out of people? Why am I being poked by people I haven't talked to in a number of years? Why the hell has someone thrown a sheep at me? If you want to throw a sheep at me that's fine, just throw and actual sheep, not a cyber one.

It's quite possible that I am getting wayyyyyyy tooooo much into this. OK scratch that, I am getting way too much into this, but this particular thing annoys me and one of the great qualities of the internet is it allows any moron (yours truly) to have the ability to say pretty much anything they want to say whenever they want to say it. So this is my rant for today, if you've read this far I apologize for wasting your time.

But please if you're a facebooker (?....that can be a word right) or myspacer or friendsterer (what's this thing do? it keeps things fresh. it's a fresher, I'm going on break) please before you make a friend request or whatever think about what you are doing. Do you really want to be friends with this person? Would it kill you to have 208 friends instead of 209? If someone was holding a gun to your head could you say you know more about this person that what their first or last name is? The message as always is be responsible, don't go friending people willy nilly, otherwise you could get the clap.

OK, you won't get the clap, but just try not to act like a 7th grader and friend everyone and their mother because it's cool to have soooooo many friends. Here's a cray thought, friend your friends or people you will actually talk to more than once in a blue moon and use these sites for what they were meant for. I'm done sounding like an old man now. Next time I will try to be funnier and more amusing, but until then...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home